Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spring

Some people think that we don't experience the seasons here in Southern California.  That isn't true, we just have to look a little bit harder.  Yes it is 80 degrees out and sunny on February 28th, and it doesn't feel  a bit like winter.  It almost feels like summer.  But to the tree right outside my front window, it is beginning to look like spring.  

I sit and look at that tree several times a day.  Every time I sit down on the couch to feed Lilly, I enjoy that tree.  Doing so has allowed me to notice things I might ordinarily pass by.  The little birds that bob on its skinny branches.  Raindrops hanging from its leaves.  And today, the first signs of spring appearing, green and verdant, amidst the dead, brown leaves, beaten by winter.

You can't imagine what an encouraging sight those small green buds were to me.  What a concrete reminder of the dead things in me, the torn and naked branches that I want to chop away.  Instead, I am reminded that all things can be made new again.  Hidden inside those ugly branches, new life waits to spring forth.  Winter doesn't last forever.  Inside me is a spring waiting to happen.  May I live my life in the spring and not in the winter.
 
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone, the new has come!" 
 2 Corinthians 5 :17

No comments: