Friday, March 13, 2009

More Collaging

I did some crafting today.  Collaging to be precise.  I know that is not a verb (see previous post) but I am turning it into one.  I am falling in love with collaging.  It incorporates my love of paper, design, color, storytelling and now that I am using photos, photography.  Oh, and I don't have to draw my own pictures, I use other people's.  I used to feel badly about this, that I wasn't really an artist, but come to find out, lots of "artists" do this.  I still don't consider myself an artist.  I know what a real artist looks like, I am married to one.  However, I am developing an artistic eye, and I am beginning to dare to call myself a photographer and a crafter.

We made these at my mom's group today.  It didn't take long at all.  The most lengthy part of the process was laying out my design.  Last night I picked my photo and my papers and came up with a design.  Today all I had to do was make a few tweaks to the design and decoupage everything to the board.

In case you are feeling collagy, here is all you need to make one yourself:
A board or canvas to act as the base for your collage
A photograph or 2 to decoupage to the base
Papers and/or other embellishments of your choice (stamps, stickers, glitter, sand, tissue paper, buttons, you get the idea)
Glue stick
Decoupage glue (such as Modge Podge)
Paintbrush

Directions: 
Arrange the papers, photographs and embellishments on your base.  Use the glue stick to attach any papers or stickers to each other before laying them on the base.  Use a thin coat of decoupage glue to attach everything to your base, layer by layer.  The more coats of decoupage glue you use, the more opaque it will become.  I like mine pretty clear, so I use very thin coats.  

It's very easy, and lots of fun.  I was so energized by this hour and a half to create something that my head immediately filled with designs for at least 3 more.  Unfortunately, real life called when I got home, so I did the dished and fed the kids.  But I put my collage in the window where I could look at it while I swept and dusted and dreamed of my next collage.  
I love being a crafty Mama!

   

No comments: