Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Poem For You Today

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

By William Carlos Williams


One of my favorite lit professors in college often had us memorize poems. One day, while studying Williams, we had to memorize either this poem, or The Red Wagon. I chose this one. Every single person in the class had to stand up and recite the poem aloud. It was really fun, but then, I am not shy. Every one's version was a little different, emphasis placed on different words, or stanzas.

I think of this poem still, every time I eat plums. Plums are one of my most favorite summer fruits. And they are delicious. Especially when they are so sweet and so cold.

Hope you are enjoying the fruits of summer!

No comments: