Monday, February 1, 2010

More Cardboard Art and a Blog You Must Visit

It started when I saw this.
I was actually looking at the cuckoo clocks because they are some of the most incredibly awesome cuckoo clocks I have ever seen. Sadly, as is so often the case with Anthropology, these are out of my price range. Even on sale. (they're still $200 on sale. Yikes!)

So I just looked and loved.
But, that tree was pretty cool too. And I could make that for free.
So I did.

Actually, since it was for the kids' room, the boys helped me, and it was a fun project for all of us.
The truth is, I am a bit of a control freak. So originally I was going to do it all myself and hang it in their room with a "Tada! Look what Mommy made for you!"
But when they saw the cut out tree sitting on the table, they wanted to know what it was. When I told them, they immediately said, "can we help?
So they did.

We mixed the colors together, and I offered art direction, "more swirls!" but they executed most of the painting on their own.
I really like the way it turned out.

We made this tree,
And this sign,

to hang over their kitchen.

In case you are wondering, "why a tree in the kitchen?' and "why a sign that says Eat Candy?", let me explain.
We have kind of a forest theme going on. We love the woods and being outside. Hence the tree. The sign is for their kitchen, which they pretend is their restaurant. I was envisioning something like "Redwood Cafe".
Well, since I was letting them have a say in their own room decor, I asked the boys what the sign should say.
James wanted it to say "Eat".
William wanted it to say "Candy."
So we compromised. "Eat Candy."
Although now James wants it to say "Candy Cafe" because that sounds more restaurantish.

Either way, I am more than happy with the way it turned out. I am especially happy that we worked on it together. It goes well with the rest of their bright, happy room.
No wonder those birds are all chirping so merrily!


Now, before you go, I have to send you over to this blog. It is called Unhappy Hipsters and I think it is pretty hysterical.
If you ever read Dwell magazine, you are used to seeing lots of pictures like these.

Perfectly styled, modern homes, rather devoid of personality and looking quite a lot like a Design Within Reach showroom.
Don't get me wrong, I like Dwell, but the homes they showcase are so often lacking any soul. I just don't see who the home owner is. Do you?
Speaking of the homeowners, they very often look quite sour. Do they ever smile? Are they taking themselves that seriously? Don't the bright colors of modernism cheer them up at all?

That, in a nutshell, is Unhappy Hipsters. The satirical quote accompanying each photo is sure to make you chuckle. I was laughing out loud actually.
And please, if I ever begin to go the way of the unhappy hipster, will someone please rescue me?
I don't ever want to take myself too seriously.

OK folks, that's all I've got. Happy Tuesday!
Greta

2 comments:

Lillian said...

I also have to say I got quite a chuckle from the blog you shared, The Unhappy Hipsters. Where are the messes......we've all got them.

Christ in the Chaos said...

I love the tree Greta!