Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Makings of a Perfect Meal

One of the very best things about summer is the food.
One of the very best things about living in Southern California is the weather.
The weather here is already warm enough to find this kind of food at the farmer's market.
That's a pretty perfect combination if you ask me.



Yes, our taxes are stupidly high.
There is traffic.
House prices are really, stupidly high.
But people, would you please take a look at those apricots?
And these tomatoes.



They are tomatoes that actually taste and yes, even smell, like tomatoes.
What's a little traffic now and then when you can get summer time tomatoes in May?


I was getting giddy when I walked around the farmer's market this morning after church.
I was acting almost tipsy.
Let a very large, very pregnant woman loose around ripe apricots and you might be embarrassed by her response.  I tried to keep the moaning to a minimum.
I've been craving summer fruits and veggies.


Then I found the summer squash.  All the different varieties I love.
More than boring, old zucchini.
I am in love with squash.


And this cheese.



Handmade cheese. 
It was their first day at our farmer's market and they were almost sold out by 11.
Next time I'm going to get the smoked Gouda.
But this is good too.  So.  Very.  Good.



But really it is the fruit that did me in.
I am at the point in my pregnancy now where I can't eat a whole lot.
There just isn't much room left.
This is the only time where I slow down, or even stop gaining weight. 
Some times I even loose a few pounds. (take that doc!)
All I want is lots of cold beverages of all sorts.
And fruit.
Summertime fruit.
It's been over a month that I've been longing for it.
But aside from the early strawberries, there hasn't been much else.
And the strawberries haven't been that sweet.
Until now.
Be still my fruit loving heart.


The cherries are in.
Aren't they just beautiful?
I had to take a zillion pictures of them.
James and William were very patient with me.
For a while.



But when I started snapping photos of the apricots, James said, "mom, can you stop taking pictures of the food and just make us lunch?  Please."
Apparently I am not the only one who suffers for my art.



What?
Isn't everyone in love with their fruit?



All these things add up to another favorite part of summer.
The Perfect Meal.
It's easy.  It's fresh.  It's fast.  
It is utterly and completely delicious.
And I should know.  
We just had it for dinner.

1.  Squash of some kind (not just zucchini) sliced thin and grilled or roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2.  A good cheese
3.  Fresh, ripe, summer tomatoes
4.  A loaf of good bread (home made or otherwise)
5.  Grilled meat or even a quality salami.  There's nothing wrong with a little chartrucerie.
6.  Fresh fruit for dessert.  Served alone or with cake, cookies or ice cream.

I could eat that meal all summer long.
And we do.  A lot.
Thankfully I have a husband who doesn't sit down to a meal of caprese salad, salami, bread and roasted veggies and say, "where's my real dinner?"
I would have to slap some sense into him.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a food freak.  
If you haven't noticed that already.
Hope you are close to getting summertime fruit--even if it's not quite summertime in your neck of the woods.
Happy Monday and happy eating.

Love from,
Greta


In other business, if you haven't seen the kids' room redo, go here.  
It even made it to the cover photo for Shelteriffic's Blog Watch last week.
That made my day!
I am linking up the bedroom post with Life Made Lovely this week, so head over there for more lovely inspiration.


Also, if you read my other blog, Lilly and the Brothers, or even if you don't, I'd so appreciate your vote.
Go here to vote for me.
I really have no chance in winning, but it is still fun to give it a try.
Because even if I won't win, I still want to tell stories.
You can vote every day until June 8th.


I think that's it.  Now that we've talked about the perfect summer time meal, I have some vintage inspired grills to show you.
See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Your pics are amazing, Greta!!

farmgirl said...

Your photos are breathtaking. Which farmer's market did you visit on Sunday? I want to try that cheese!

grey rose (they/them) said...

i have no words.
the food goodness, the photo greatness.
wow.