Sunday, November 6, 2011

Home

Unlike the rest of the world, I am not the biggest fan of fall.
And winter, all that cold, really, really not a fan.
Give me spring and then give me summer.
Lots of summer.
You know this quote?  
Well, I agree 100%.
But.



This weekend it turned cold here. 
(cold for Southern California is a day time temp of 57--we're talking scarves and heavy coats. brrrr.)
And daylight savings time ended.
It was dark at 5 pm.
Tonight, coming in from the cold and dark, my home welcomed me.
There was golden light.
And warm air embraced me.
It felt so good to be home.
And suddenly, I was so thankful for the things I don't like, because they made me appreciate the things I take for granted.
HOME.
How blessed I am to have a home.
Where I am safe.
Where I am warm.
Where there is food.
Where there is comfort.
Where there is love.
Where there is light.
Where there is laughter.
Where I am happy.
Where I am with the ones I love best of all.
Home.
Oh, how I love my home.

I like the last 2 verses of this poem we all know a part of, Home Sweet Home, by John Howard Payne.
How sweet 'tis to sit 'neath a fond father's smile,
And the caress of a mother to soothe and beguile!
Let others delight mid new pleasures to roam,
But give me, oh, give me, the pleasures of home.
Home, home, sweet, sweet home!
There's no place like home, oh, there's no place like home!

To thee I'll return, overburdened with care;
The heart's dearest solace will smile on me there;
No more from that cottage again will I roam;
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
Home, home, sweet, sweet, home!
There's no place like home, oh, there's no place like home! 
.................................................................................................
November is one of my favorite months--despite it being fall, I still love it.
I love it because many of us remember, more than any other time of year, to be thankful.
I don't know yet what I'm supposed to do with this moment of gratefulness that was thrust upon me.
But I want to remember it.
I want to remember my windows lit up with the glow of warmth and light.
I want to do something with that.

This quote is speaking to me right now.
"At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done.
We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in
."  Mother Teresa

Feeling grateful for so much right now.
And feeling challenged.
Happy November, friends.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Love from,
Greta

8 comments:

The Arizona Russums said...

Yes! I am a summer girl too! The winter is not for me! But this season does make you thankful for some of the simple things in life. I recently decided to be thankful for doing laundry since it means I have plenty of warm clothes to wear!

*camp1899* said...

so glad you popped over and said hello.. need more time to explore your corner of the world, but right off the bat.. love ***love*** your cute abode, the metal cabinets.. yes, please! many photo booth photos, and danger will robinson.. brilliant! costume, oh happy day, thanks for visiting me so that i could find you.. (:
tiffany

Anonymous said...

Fall is okay for me because in Arizona it doesn't get that cold and when it does, it's rare. But I don't like winter and I don't like being cold.
Thank you for sharing. We have to remember how thankful we are and all the things we are blessed with. I couldn't imagine being homeless and being freezing cold. That would be horrible.

Have a great day and enjoy your home,
Melanie

Desirae said...

Hi Greta,
Well Fall definitely means imminent cold here in Nebraska. However I dont think you could have worded the feelings of Fall/Home any better. Thanks for reminding all of us the importance of being Thanful, for everyone and everything that we area blessed with in our lives, for it is often the most simple of things that are by far the most important.
Love Desirae

Cailan said...

Such lovely words of encouragement for this Monday morning - thank you!

Anonymous said...

LOL, when we lived in Ventura I thought 57 was cold too! Now we are in Montana and it was 4 degrees this morning. It's all relative. We will get down to -30 or -40 by the end of winter. Count your blessings, Greta! :-). Your home exudes warmth and a sense of soul. That is what really counts.

Gina said...

I totally agree, home is really the best place-no matter the season! Although, unlike you I quite prefer fall :) I like my home best this time of year!

Katie Stratton said...

i suppose living in southern california would automatically make you a summer gal! i love that you're embracing the changing weather and the way it can change the heart and the mind.

beautiful poems, and p.s. your home is amazing!!!