Thursday, March 29, 2012

March Photo a Day --Week 3

I'm a week behind with these, but you know how it goes.
All 4 kids have been down with the flu.
A few of these pictures have a story to go along with them, so let's just get started, shall we?

March 15, 2012
Car
I never imagined I'd be driving a minivan.
NEVER.
Yet here I am.
A baby on my hip, 
kids everywhere I look,
2 car seats and a booster filling the seats,
blankets, sweatshirts, water bottles,
baseball gloves,
baby socks,
and pretzels covering the floor.
Automatic sliding doors on both sides--
it's quite possibly the uncoolest car around.
But it's also the most practical.
And sometimes you've just got to be practical.
Then you balance that out with a pair of bright pink rain boots.
Which you wear if there is a hint of drizzle.
Rain boots, in any color, aren't all that practical in Southern California.
Hey, I can't be practical all the time.



March 16, 2012
Sunglasses
I can't think of sunglasses without thinking of this story.
We were on our honeymoon.
Stuck in the tourist trap of Ghiradelli Square in San Fran.
I realized I was out of film.
The only place we could find to buy some was a little 
"everything" shop.
In France they call them "tabacs."
We walked in.
One roll of film was $12, or something crazy like that.
It was 1998.
$12 for film was outrageous.
But we were stuck.
I carried the film to the counter.
Two men stood behind it, 
dark-haired, swarthy, Italian looking.
Their shirts unbuttoned at least 4 buttons down.
Chest hair exposed.
One man looked straight at my chest.
My sunglasses were hanging from the collar of my v-neck shirt.
"I like your... sunglasses," he said.
Creep.
But that story still makes me laugh.
Aaron said these glasses make me look like a police officer.
Not really the look I was going for.
I like swarthy guy's comment better.



March 17, 2012
Green
Confession.
I did not take this photo on St. Patrick's Day.
That day was dark and rainy.
Not a bit of good light for photo taking.
Besides, I was busy relaxing.
But the next week, I got this cookbook from the library.
And I thought, "green!"
I like the cookbook quite a lot.



March 18, 2012
A Corner of My Home


Of all our furniture, of all our treasures,
of all our corners,
this is my favorite.
My favorite room,
and my favorite spot.
This room is dedicated to 
Learning.
Creativity.
Exploring.
Making.
Collecting.
Dreaming.
And to Reading.
Oh how I love books.
This is a fraction of my collection.
We need more shelves.
So I can make more favorite corners.




March 19, 2012
Funny
"Mommy!" Lilly called to me from the kitchen.
"I have a surprise for you."
Her voice rang out in that sing song way
that tells me she is especially happy.
I had seen her dash into the yard a few times
and wondered what she was up to.
"Mommy, I made you a snack."
She smiled wide.
"And I decorated it."
Yes, you did, you funny little girl.
Peanut butter and crackers and clover.
My favorite.
I love you, Lilly.



March 20, 2012
Before
"Mom," James sighed.
"I wish it was my birthday."
"Why?" I asked.
"Because I really want some cake."
"Ok.  Let's make one."
"Really?"
His eyes lit up.

We went to the store for ingredients.
I never pass up an opportunity to impart a life lesson.
This one happened on the baking aisle.
"Kids, you should never, ever, get frosting from a can."
Homemade frosting is so easy.
While they are still working on their pouring technique,
there was nothing lacking in the taste department.



March 20, 2012
After
There was nothing lacking at all.
As Lilly clearly demonstrated.
Chocolate ganache, we love you.



March 21, 2012
Delicious
Anything covered in arugula is
delicious.
Flat bread.
A sprinkling of feta.
Squash.
Tomatoes.
Olive oil.
Salt.
Pepper.
Arugula.
Delicious.



I love this photo a day challenge.
I'm having a lot of fun.
To see the rest of my photos, go here.
It's Friday!
Hope your weekend involves something delicious.
For the record, chocolate ganache tastes delicious on almost anything.
Try it.
Love from,
Greta

5 comments:

Jillian in Italy said...

Great photos Greta. I love the photo of your daughter with chocolate ganache on her nose. And I agree about the rucola...it's delicious on everything. Enjoy your week-end. Jill x

mandi said...

I love that little corner of your home too! Which room is it in? I'm always so curious about how other homeschoolers set up their learning areas.
Your sunglasses story is HI-larious!
And yeah, it is fun to say yes! I'm a big supporter of YES!
ps- hoping all the kids are feeling better. That is exhausting and so hard when they are miserable.

grey rose (they/them) said...

gorgeous. love your sunglasses story, and your glasses. adorable!
the pb cracker clover is cracking me up. her darling face! you've got such a precious family. and thanks for the chocolate ganache. oh yes.

love to you!

Cailan said...

Wow. I am really almost overwhelmed by the sweetness and fullness of these life snippets. Your book corner is beautiful and I love that you said "yes" to your boy. I just love what you're doing here, Greta. So rich.
love,
Cailan

AngieK said...

I love how you decorated your book corner, I'm inspired to create an area like that now!