Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Trip to the Vintage Trailer Show

A couple of weeks ago, we visited Palm Springs for Modernism Week.
We had a fabulous time,  (see more of our fun over at Lilly and the Brothers) and one of the highlights was definitely the Vintage Trailer Show.
We really, really, love vintage trailers, so this was like a little slice of heaven.
Take a look at some of my favorite trailers.
I love that this trailer has a name.
Dottie!
Isn't she adorable?
Of course everyone loves a classic Airstream.
But I was happy to see that there were so many other kinds of trailers to see at the show.
Like this one.
This isn't really a trailer.
It is actually a motor home of sorts.
It is one of only 8 ever made, has a Corvair engine, and is just as cool inside as it is on the outside.
The owner actually drives this around and really does take it camping.
How cool is that?
I love when people DO things that most everyone else would write off as impractical and go for it anyway.
This was another favorite trailer of mine.
It's a Holiday House and they were produced for 2 years in Oregon, by the owners of the Harry and David fruit company.
No one knows how many were actually made because a fire destroyed all the records the company had for the trailers,
If you find one, you are a lucky ducky!
One of the things I love about events like this is learning about these little slices of Americana.
They are a little bit of American history.
These Holiday Houses are really unique looking with that big front window.
Inside they are very spacious and have a lot of vintage charm.
I especially loved their name and this colorful label on the side.
Anything named Holiday has a sweet spot in my heart.
(look here to see lots more of these beauties.  I'm kind of in love with them)
Many of the trailers were pulled by vintage cars.
You have to have the whole package, right?
And really, it looks so much better for this little trailer to have this Woody in front of it, rather than a modern day Toyota Tundra or F150.
These vintage trailer enthusiasts pay attention to details.
I admit, I was quite smitten with those motor homes.
I could see our family of 6 taking some fabulous cross country trips in this big beauty.
And it's a pretty great color, too.
But I think I will always love the trailers best of all.
Can't you just imagine sitting here, with your cup of morning coffee, watching the sun come up through the trees in your campsite?
It sounds pretty perfect to me.
And speaking of perfect, take a look at this baby.
A vintage trailer turned photo booth.
Be still my heart!
Behold the Bluesteel Photo Booth.
While talking to the owners, Alan and Shari, Alan and I realized we knew each other.
We had taught at the same high school nearly 10 years ago.
Now he and his wife are living on the Central Coast, photographing weddings, and taking their Airstream photo booth to all sorts of fun events.
What?
Am I jealous?
Because they're living in one of my favorite spots on earth, and doing some of my favorite things?
Nope. Not a bit.
OK, maybe a bit.
But mostly happy for them both and their genius idea.
Be sure to check them out here.
Aaron and I walked away from the show more determined than ever to have a trailer of our own one day.
In fact, we almost bought one the next morning.
However, upon discovering that our little Falcon can only pull a teeny, tiny trailer, we decided to wait.
Pulling a trailer with the minivan just isn't very romantic.
Now Aaron is on the hunt for a vintage vehicle big enough to pull a trailer and hold all of us.
These are a current favorite.

Whether you are a vintage trailer fan or not, I do think that all of us have a traveler inside us, longing to get out on the open road.
I just think doing it in a vintage trailer is the way to go!
Cheers to motoring across America with style!!!
Love from,
Greta

PS.  I would be remiss if I didn't share one of my highlights from the show--a celebrity sighting!
I met Charles Phoenix!!
He is a true gem and just as fun and nice in real life as he appears to be on TV and on the web.
Thanks for taking the time to snap a photo with me, Charles, and chat a bit.
We look pretty great with that car, don't we?
Check out Charles' Facebook page for lots more Americana.
He posts fabulous pictures everyday of vintage signs, restaurants, books, vintage products, even recipes.
It is all so fun and sure to put a smile on your face.

I love meeting a fellow fan of all things vintage!

7 comments:

Jillian in Italy said...

These are all so gorgeous! I'm really in love with that green motor home though. I miss seeing old vintage cars and things. You should don't come across too many over here. ps...you look absolutely amazing by the way!

Annette said...

I love vintage travel trailers! We recently purchased a modern one and I wanted a vintage one SO BADLY, but unfortunately the only ones in our price range were "well loved" beyond our restoration abilities. Some day...

Lora said...

that looks like so much fun!!

grey rose (they/them) said...

greta!! oh my cute.
what an amazing time, and you are gorgeous.
i really miss you!

Unknown said...

umm this is so neat! i have a friend who is in love with airstreams this would have been a great thing to go to!

Unknown said...

This looks like a blast! I forgot how I found your blog but I am loving it. I love vintage trailers and think it would be so fun to have one one day.Thanks for sharing these awesome pics!

Unknown said...

Everything about this post made me smile.
And Charles?
You lucky girl, you.