Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Easy Decorating: Gourds and Pumpkins

It's been a few days. I've had a sick baby and sleep has been at a premium. I, of the late late nights, have been falling asleep before 9. And then woken every few hours there after. And she's up for the day at 5. Sometimes I have to choose sleep over blogging.

My sweet husband took Lils on a run at 5 this morning and then made the kids breakfast so that I could sleep until 7:30. Bliss. And now he's putting the boys to bed so I can sit here and write to you about gourds.
He is a good man.


I saw this in Martha Stewart magazine a month or so ago. I mentioned it here, and really thought it would be a great idea for my Thanksgiving decor this year. But then I got these gourds, and these stripey pumpkins, and I don't think I want to change them a bit.

Stripes, stripes, stripes! I love stripes!

Aren't they just amazing?

I still do want to try painting gourds, but I think I'd have to get plain ones. It wouldn't be hard for me to paint a plain brown gourd bright red. It isn't hard for me to paint almost anything bright red!

Besides being so beautiful, another great thing about these gourds is the deal I got on them. You know I love a good deal. Our local pumpkin patch, Pa's, was all closed up for the season. But when we drove by, I noticed they had lots of pumpkins left over.
"I wonder what they're doing with all those pumpkins?"
Low and behold, they were selling them for wonderful prices, like 5 for a dollar. Big and small, gourds and all. I was pretty happy.

I bought enough to scatter around my house. And they look beautiful on a platter on the table and here, with my garage sale owl and Charlie Harper alphabet tile. And I didn't have to do a thing to them. Sometimes that's nice.

No comments: