Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring Vegetables

For so many reasons I am glad that it is spring.  One not very small one being that spring vegetables are back at the farmer's market.  Squash, squash, squash--how I have missed you. And I am talking about spring squash here.  Because, truth be told, I tire of winter vegetables. Oh yes, they are delicious roasted, and pureed and steamed with lots of cream and butter, and maybe maple syrup.  But, give me a yellow squash, a sweet, tender, young zucchini, and I am in heaven.  
So when I went to the farmer's market this week and saw the squash were back, and these beautiful baby eggplant, I was very, very happy.  I had scrambled eggs with sauteed squash for breakfast the next morning.  I also made this ratatouille for dinner.  It is Aaron's favorite.  We had the leftovers on pizza the next night.  It is so good.  So, so SO good.
Don't be daunted by the recipe.  Some of my shortcuts are: canned tomatoes, (especially when it isn't time for fresh tomatoes) roasting the peppers in the oven, and using less onions.  I can make it without a recipe now and it still tastes good.  Wait, did I say that already?     

PS: I'll post the recipe later.  Lilly is playing at my feet and trying to eat the computer cord.  She won't take no for an answer.  I guess I'd better pay attention to her now!

No comments: