Friday, November 6, 2009

Hot Off the Stove: Oatmeal

I have been in a cooking slump lately. My time is limited because when is time to get dinner ready, it is also the time when my children turn from Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. In addition, I've got some picky eater issues going on. So I am trying to cook a meal that everyone likes, or make 2 meals which I hate to do. We eat a lot of beans, always good, but I am not an astronaut. I can not eat the same thing everyday.
Or I find myself falling back to boxed mac and cheese. At least I make myself feel better by serving the whole wheat, organic, white cheddar variety, rather than that horrible fluorescent orange stuff. (the only kid I liked as a kid) But still. It is processed, it is not fresh and it is a cop out.


I'm even struggling with breakfast. Which, as you know, is my favorite meal of the day. We have eggs and "yellow butter toast" most everyday. Or toast and yogurt. Toast and fruit. Or peanut butter toast.
My kids like toast.
I used to do oatmeal several times a week. Then, out of nowhere, they didn't like oatmeal anymore. I hate it when that happens. Kids are so irrational. It's like they are kids or something.


But last week, I was out of bread. I wasn't going to take all 3 kids to the store at 6 am for bread. It was time to make do. Besides, it was a cold morning and oatmeal sounded good. Cozy. Comforting.
I cooked up a pot on the stove, with raisins and cranberries added during cooking time so they would be nice and soft. Put it, steaming, into 2 little bowls. Then I set out a bowl of brown sugar, some cinnamon and a little pitcher of cream.

"Come make your oatmeal, " I called.
They came in.
We don't like oatmeal, they told me.
"Oh, but you will like it when you get to add your own brown sugar, cinnamon and cream."



Hmmm. I could see them thinking.
"All by our self?"
"Yep."


They liked it.

I always make my oatmeal on the stove. It is infinitely better than the instant variety which has the consistency of wallpaper paste and so much sugar it makes my teeth hurt. If you've never made oatmeal the old fashioned way, try it. You'll be hooked.

Easy Stove Top Oatmeal
1 cup dried, rolled oats
2 cups milk
handful dried fruit

Put all 3 ingredients in a pot and cook on med-low until the milk is absorbed and oatmeal is creamy. It only takes a few minutes. Watch it so it doesn't burn.

Spoon into bowls and add:
Brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts, cream and if you really want to be indulgent, a pat of butter.

This would make a good breakfast for Saturday morning.
Happy weekend everyone.


1 comment:

Erin McDonald said...

Oatmeal is our staple here and I think it's helped out on the weight loss BIG TIME! I love it with honey and blueberries. blueberries are a luxury but when I can I use them!! So yum! I am going to try nuts next time that sounds great! thanks!