Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This Ain't Your Mamma's Craft Fair!

Remember the days when craft fairs meant a lot of tole painted cows, pigs, sheep and all other things "country"? Perhaps a few sweatshirts decorated with puffy paint, some hand made fanny packs and don't forget the denim vests with the beautiful teddy bear appliques. Cross stitch wall hangings of My Little Pony for your daughter's room. A doll in a red velvet dress with a large, flower covered hat for your Christmas doll collection. And you would be especially disappointed if you missed the table selling these babies.

Ahh, those were the days. I mean, who doesn't want to be a Sassy Lady?

I loved craft fairs then, and I do now. And even though I have a horrible suspicion that they are trying to bring back fanny packs, (I saw a Coach one at the playground) I think most of the 80s crafts are gone. Crafts are whole new ball game now.

Last year I went to Felt Club. It was amazing. It was inspiring. There were so many great handcrafted items for sale. I am wearing one around my neck right now. Another sits on my wall unit and I enjoy seeing it everyday.

I was so sad to discover there would be no Felt Club this year. Then I found this. In my own hood, too!



So come on out if you live in Long Beach or anywhere nearby. I am sure you will love it. After all, it ain't your Mamma's craft fair!

I'll be seeing you there. And tell your friends.

No comments: