Sunday, February 14, 2010

Craft Project: Wax Paper Hearts

Oh yes, I know. Valentines Day was over yesterday and everyone is ready to move on. Well, I have been sick most every night this week, so there hasn't been a lot of blogging going on. In addition, my kids are up half the night with hacking coughs, so you'll have to give me a little grace here.
I want to show you these hearts. Cause I love them. Even if Valentines Day is over. (you might recognize them from my banner photo over at Lilly and the Brothers)

Did you make wax paper crafts when you were a kid? You know, where you melt crayon shavings between 2 sheets of wax paper and come up with these beautiful, stained glass designs?
It was my most favorite craft in the world.
It still is.
There is just something magical about the way the colors all come together. Every one is different. I never tire of it.
The boys and I made all these hearts last year. I saved them all and we hung them again. Some we strung singly and hung in a doorway, where they would flutter in the breeze.

Others we strung together into a garland and hung in the window.


The beauty of this craft is its versatility. You can turn these into any shape, so this isn't just a Valentines craft.
I imagine using pinks, oranges, yellows and bright blues for Easter eggs. Or flowers for spring time. Or, just frame in a mat of brightly colored paper and hang in the window as is. You will have a "stained glass window" that looks lovely with the sun shining through it.

Here are the directions if you want to give it a try.

You need:
wax paper
old crayons, wrappers removed
a small, hand held pencil sharpener
iron
2 paper grocery bags, or 2 thick towels that you don't mind staining

What to do:
First, sharpen the crayons to get your shavings. Keep each color separate by dumping shavings on a paper towel, or in a small bowl.
Turn your iron on to its lowest setting.
Next, lay a thick towel or paper bag on your ironing board.
Lay a sheet of wax paper on top of the towel or bag.
Sprinkle crayon shavings on top of the wax paper. Experiment and see what colors look good melted together, but don't mix too many and make brown! Or create pockets of a single color surrounded by mixed colors.
You don't need to use a lot of crayon shavings. A little goes a long way.
Lay another sheet of wax paper on top of the crayon shavings.
Put another towel or paper bag over the wax paper to protect your iron.
Run the iron gently across the towel or bag. A few quick passes should be enough to melt the crayons and the paper together.
Lift the towel and check. If it isn't melted enough, pass the iron over it again.
Set the finished paper aside and do some more.
Now you can cut the paper into shapes, or simply frame it as it.

Like I said, I never tire of making these and neither do my boys.
We're about due to make some more. I'll be sure to post what we come up with.

So, happy Valentines Day, friends. I hope yours was lovely. And I hope you find some time to make something pretty this week. And if not, it's still fun to dream! There's always next Valentines Day.
Cheers,
Greta

No comments: