Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Repurposing: Vintage Hankerchiefs

About a month ago I found a pile of vintage handkerchiefs at a garage sale.  I think there are about 12 of them.  They cost me a dollar.
I had no plans for them when I bought them, but I knew I would figure something out.

Their original role was out because, lover of all things vintage I may be, I am not a handkerchief kind of girl.  I know it looks all cute when Meg Ryan gives one to Tom Hank's sister (or is it his aunt) in her book shop and waxes poetical about handkerchiefs.
But I have to be honest.
Those times when I really need to use a handkerchief, I have to blow my nose a lot.
A lot.
And having a fabric square full of snot hanging around in my purse or pocket doesn't sound appealing to me in the least.

Which brings us back to the question: what to do with these handkerchiefs?


Turns out they make lovely napkins.



And they pair so nicely with my vintage silverware.
Don't you just love those star bursts?
This pattern is nearly identical to the silverware Aaron's Aunt Mimi had and that he has always loved.  When I found a full set at an estate sale for $10, it was a happy, happy day.

Besides the white ones, there were a few other handkerchiefs as well.  There were 3 of these little stripey guys.  I wish there had been a few more so there would at least be a set for the 5 of us.  But you can't complain too much about garage sale finds.


I especially like the blue one with the thin red and yellow stripes.  Such a great color combo.


 There was only one of these.  I often using it when I am eating a meal alone at lunch  like this.  (sometimes I eat after the kids and read for 15 minutes.  (Even stay at home moms are allowed a lunch break, right?)



So now I am on the lookout for vintage handkerchiefs.  I like using them so much better than paper towels or paper napkins. 
They feel better.  
They look better.
It's a pretty easy upgrade.
And a pretty easy thing to re purpose.
No work required aside from a little bit of thinking.


And now I am wondering.  What have you re purposed around your house?
Do tell.
Love from,
Greta

3 comments:

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

oh my! i think your a genius. what a perfect way to use them. now i'm on the lookout for some!

Kitty said...

I've been dreaming over vintage handkerchiefs for some time now, I kept trying to think of things to do with them - this is perfect! Now when I bring home another pile of vintage goodies and the husband sighs again, I'll say - I have a use for them! Out with paper napkins!

BTW, I bought a vintage salt and pepper set you would love this weekend. The salt was a little hotdog and the pepper was a hamburger. I couldn't resist! They just don't make them like they used to....

Anonymous said...

Hello Greta. Can you tell me the name of the pattern on that lovely silverware? theburge66@yahoo.com Thanks!