Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's For Lunch? Green Salad with Israeli Couscous

I love it when the weather warms up because then I really want salad for lunch. When it is warm outside, or hot, I could happily eat salad for lunch and dinner.
The more veggies the better.
But I like some other additions as well.
This is one of my favorite combinations:

Arugula
Romaine
Persian cucumbers
Red Bell Pepper
Cherry Tomatoes
Avocado
Feta cheese
Israeli Couscous with squash

I top with with my new favorite dressing, ala Jen: fig balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. That fig balsamic is amazing. You really need to get some.
I top it all off with a squeeze of lemon.

I try not to eat all of the big bowl. But it's hard.

Now, if you're wondering about that couscous, let me tell you about one of my favorite grains.
First, you must have the Israeli couscous. It is essential. Do not, I repeat, do not get the small couscous. The large pearl couscous, Israeli couscous, is so much better. Look for it. I find it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I actually buy it in bulk at Whole Foods cause it's that good.

I found this picture on the web so you could see what Israeli couscous looks like outside my salad. It cooks up in minutes and makes a great side dish.
And a great salad ingredient.

Here's my favorite way to cook it.

Israeli Couscous with Sauteed Squash and Zucchini

Cover the bottom of a heavy bottomed pot with olive oil
Put in 2 cups of Israeli couscous and toast, stirring occasionally.
When couscous begins to turn golden, add 2 and a half cups of boiling water to pan.
Cover and lower heat to medium low.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the water is absorbed.
Remove from heat.

Cut 2 large zucchini and 1 large yellow squash into small cubes.
In a large frying pan, saute the squash and zucchini until tender.
Add the couscous to the frying pan and stir all ingredients together.
Remove from heat.
Add a cup of pine nuts and crumbled feta cheese to taste.
Season with salt and pepper.

This makes a wonderful side dish with chicken or fish. Although, I am more than happy to eat a bowl of the couscous on its own and call it dinner. When I make it for dinner, I like to make an extra large salad to go with it and then I have everything ready for both Aaron and I's lunch the next day. A little bit of planning makes for a delicious lunch.

So, have you ever cooked with couscous before? If so, I'd love to hear your favorite recipes.
Enjoy your lunch today.
I think a bowl of cous cous is sounding pretty good right about now.
Thanks for stopping by.
Greta



1 comment:

jennifer said...

that sounds so yummy. glad my dressing is workin' for ya.

so, when are you making me that salad? i'm thinking a little kid play in the backyard and mamas at play in the kitchen? :) (when we are all healthy of course!)

love the vintage sign pics too. the idyllwild sign pics turned out great.