Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Vintage Salt and Pepper Set--But What's the Other Piece For?

I got this adorable vintage salt and pepper set for my birthday from my mother-in-law.
I love it a lot.
It's very 60s, don't you think?
I like the wood and the gold, the font and even the shape of the lids.


But I cannot figure out what the 3rd container is for.  
Neither can anyone else I show it to.


It is a little covered dish with a teeny, tiny plastic spoon.
Is it for hot pepper flakes?
My mom vetoed that one.
But she didn't offer an alternative.

Any other ideas out there?  Somebody want to help me out on this one?
Thanks,

Love from,
Greta

5 comments:

Four Flights said...

sugar perhaps? or is the spoon too small?

Christina said...

I think it's for mustard. If you google, "salt, pepper, mustard", you'll see several of these three-piece collections. Maybe mustard used to be a much more popular condiment?

Desirae said...

I believe that could be for sugar

Betsi* said...

yep, it's for mustard!

Erin McDonald said...

I vote the mustard but you could use it for coshure salt! I love it super cute!