Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Garage Sale Finds: More Vintage Office Supplies

I haven't been able to do much estate or garage saling in a long while.
There's a myriad of reasons: I don't feel like dragging all 4 kids along (although they're always so good and make me so proud every time--but still--it's not easy) I don't want to break up a school morning for an estate sale, I don't have the extra cash, the weekend is too busy, or I don't feel like getting up any earlier than I have to already.
Because sometimes, when I do make the effort, there really isn't much to show for it.
And then I read her blog, or hers, and this blog and I get a teensy, tinsy, bit jealous.
Of course, I'm totally happy for them.
And I'm totally happy for the chance vintage sheet find, or an old thermos or 2 when I get to go thrifting.

But don't you dream of that one sale where you just hit the jack pot?
I do.
I did.
This weekend.
It was great.
So many great finds.
The only thing missing was furniture--which I don't have room for anyways.
I had heart palpitations and sweaty armpits the moment I stepped into the house.
It was a book sale kind of rush.

It was listed in the Penny Saver as one of those "full house garage sale" kind of sales.
That means: estate sale goods at garage sale prices.
Sign me up, baby!

The first room I walked into was the library/office.
I squealed a little when I saw theis vintage metal globe.



Then I saw these pencils and this container of fasteners.
Original, vintage packaging.
Again, I squealed.




The nice thing about you, dear readers, is that some of you don't think I'm a complete weirdo for loving this kind of stuff.
And neither does my husband, which is so nice.




You are probably the same readers who could tell me the movie that has this line in it: "I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."
What is it about stationary supplies, school supplies, office supplies?
Did you know my first job was at the library?
I was in 4th grade.
I shelved books.
I was in heaven.
Obviously this stuff is in my blood.




Now I have a few more things to go with these vintage office supplies, scored at the last garage sale I went to.
The garage sale gods were smiling upon me.
This is the tip of the iceberg, friends.
The tippity, tippity, tip!
Come back for more!  Maybe tomorrow.
Love from,
Greta

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same movie that made me fall in love with daisy's.

The friendliest and happiest flower.

Tiffany Joan said...

Luv this post. You found some fun treasures. Ur definitely not weird. Office supply geeks unite. A favorite date for my husband and I, is a trip to staples.

mandi said...

I had some pretty good thrifting/estate sale luck this weekend too. But alas, no office supplies. I can't believe your pack of pencils. I mean, can you imagine the story there? Like, why didn't they USE the pencils? I love where estate sales take my brain! All the speculation!

Julie L said...

I love "you've got mail". Stationary supplies, books, *sigh*, globes. Oh I'd love to see what else you got.

Laura said...

what great finds! definitely squeal-worthy!

our package of new drawing supplies just came & when i saw the box of 36 colored Lyra pencils, all new & beautiful, my heart skipped a beat. i (i mean my kids) can't wait to use them!

meg + andy said...

oh man, yes you did hit the jack-pot! what a happy day.

frecklewonder said...

oh YAY! be still my globe-lovin' heart!

glad you went, glad you found treasures. LOVE that original packaging on the pencils and no ma'am you are not crazy.

if you are, then i am. and i'm ok with that!

XO

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Great finds! I love the thrill of finding that perfect thrifty piece!

Cailan said...

How could it get better than this?? I am all suspense. ; )

Moments and Impressions said...

Oh I know how you feel... I have been in a thrifting dry spell for a bit. When you find some great things though it is the best. Can't wait to see more!

grey rose (they/them) said...

greta, WOW! love your finds. school and office supplies are my FAVE. funny, how i never finished school, and i haven't worked in an office for six years...ha.
and that movie? favorite:) you are my favorite, too.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

That globe is swooney!!!