Friday, November 2, 2012

Making Bread

Hello friends!
I'm popping in to tell you that we're baking bread today.
As usual, I have a list a mile long of things I want to write about.
For one thing, I think I finally found my china pattern!
I've been married for nearly 15 years, and it's taken me this long to find the one that I really love.
It's vintage Franciscan ware and I can't wait to share it with you.

But back to the bread.
There are few tasks I find more satisfying than making my own bread.
There are few smells more enticing than bread baking in my oven.
There are few things more delicious than bread fresh from my oven, eaten warm with butter.
It is worth every ounce of effort.
And truthfully, it isn't much effort at all.
We tried this recipe for the first time, and mixing it up was a dream.
It's in the oven right now, rising.

Since we'll be having a late dinner tonight, our bread will be ready for us, all warm and delicious, in a couple of hours.
Having fresh baked bread with dinner makes for such a special treat, doesn't it?
I'll let you know how the bread turns out so you can make some too.
I hope you will.
Even if you only do it once a year, your family will thank you for it.
Treat them.
They're worth it!

Can I tell you how wonderful it feels to be turning on my oven and making soup and fresh bread for dinner?
It's November and today was perfectly cool--just a touch under 70.
I know, that's a Southern California autumnal day, but I'll take it.
Last night I baked pumpkin muffins, and tomorrow...who knows.
It's November, one of my favorite months, and I'm thankful for so many things.
Today I'm thankful for the smell of yeast, and the warmth of my oven, and for a family that I am blessed to care for.
It is good to take care of people.
Wishing you a wonderful November weekend!
Love from,
Greta

1 comment:

Sophie's Trains said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for a very long time and decided to come out of the woodwork :) I really like your house decor (we live in a small apartment with our 4 kids and I'm vigilant about clutter and creating the feeling of openness) and the general vintage-y vibe. You inspire me with your attention to detail!